Vadim A. STEPANOV
Director of the Research Institute of Medical Genetics,
Tomsk National Research Medical Center of RAS (Tomsk, Russia)
Professor at the Department of Cytology and Genetics, Institute of Biology,
Head of the Laboratory of Human Ontogenetics, Institute of Biology,
National Research Tomsk State University (Tomsk, Russia)
Corr. member of RAS, DSc (biology), professor
Areas of expertise:
medical genetics, human genetics and genomics, population and evolutionary genetics, genetic diversity, genetics of common diseases, genetics of cognitive traits
Special awards and honors:
Received a number of prizes and awards, including the medal of the 2nd class Order of Merit for the Motherland, The 70th anniversary of Tomsk medal, Basic Medical Research Award and Medal of the RAMS Presidium; Award of the Interdepartmental Coordinating Council of RAS and the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Russian Federation in Life Sciences and Biotechnology for the best project under the Human Genome State Program for Science and Technology; Young Scientist State Award of Tomsk oblast in Education and Science; Tomsk oblast Award in Education and Science for Research workers and Teachers for major contribution to science. Received certificates of Honor of the Governor of Tomsk oblast, the Legislative House of the Great Khural of the Republic of Tyva, Presidium of the Siberian Branch of RAS, the Board of Rectors of Tomsk oblast, Letter of Gratitude of the Investigation Committee of the Russian Federation in Novosibirsk oblast.
Science is probably one of the hardest roads a person can take. But at the same time it is very interesting and rewarding. Anyone who sets foot on this path will never reach perfection. No matter how much you learn or discover, there is still an endless realm of the unknown ahead of you. With each step you take, the horizon will only seem further. But this is what makes science important and interesting. Pushing the boundary of the unknown a bit further, you will know that each step moves humanity forward. To young researchers I would recommend deciding on their primary area of interest. Do what you find important, useful and enjoyable. Do not think much about promotion or your environment. If you know what you are here for, then degrees, titles, grants and H-indexes will come naturally.
- Stepanov VA. Evolution of genetic diversity and human diseases. Russ J Genet. 2016; 52 (7):746–56.
- Stepanov V, Vagaitseva K, Kharkov V, Cherednichenko A, Bocharova A, Berezina G, et al. Forensic and population genetic characteristics of 62 X chromosome SNPs revealed by multiplex PCR and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry genotyping in 4 North Eurasian populations. Leg Med (Tokyo). 2016 Jan; 18: 66–71. DOI: 10.1016/j.legalmed.2015.12.008.
- Stepanov VA, Bocharova AV, Marusin AV, Zhukova NG, Alifirova VM, Zhukova IA. Replicative association analysis of genetic markers of cognitive traits with Alzheimer's disease in the Russian population. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2014; 48 (6): 835–44.
- Trifonova EA, Gabidulina TV, Ershov NI, Serebrova VN, Vorozhishcheva AYu, Stepanov VA. Analysis of the placental tissue transcriptome of normal and preeclampsia complicated pregnancies. Acta Naturae. 2014 Apr; 6(2): 71–
- Stepanov VA, Khar'kov VN, Trifonova EA, Marusin AV. Metody statisticheskogo analiza v populyatsionnoi i evolyutsionnoi genetike cheloveka. Uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie. Seriya «Nasledstvennost' i zdorov'e». Vypusk 12. Tomsk: Pechatnaya manufaktura; 2014. 100p. Russian.
- Khar'kov VN, Stepanov VA. Raznoobrazie naseleniya Yakutii po dannym Y-khromosomy. In: PuzyrevVP, Tomskii MI, editors. Geneticheskie issledovaniya naseleniya Yakutii. Yakutsk: Dani-Almas; 2014. p. 61–77.
- Stepanov VA, Candelaria P, Khoo S, Zhang G, Trifonova EA, Simonova KV, et al. [Decanalization of immune response during the dispersion of modern humans: the relationships of genetic diversity in immune system genes and climatic and geographic factors]. Meditsinskaya genetika. 2013; 12(4): 8–18.
- Stepanov VA, Balanovsky OP, Melnikov AV, Lash-Zavada AYu, Khar'kov VN, Tyazhelova TV, et al. Characteristics of Populations of the Russian Federation over the Panel of Fifteen Loci Used for DNA Identification and in Forensic Medical Examination. Acta Naturae. 2011 Apr; 3 (2): 56–67.
- Stepanov VA, Melnikov AV, Lash-Zavada AYu, Kharkov VN, Borinskaya SA, Tyazhelova TV, et al. Genetic variability of 15 autosomal STR loci in Russian populations. Leg Med (Tokyo). 2010 Sep; 12 (5): 256–8.
- Stepanov VA. Genomes, populations and diseases: ethnic genomics and personalized medicine. Acta Naturae. 2010 Oct; 2 (4): 15–30.