Maksim L. FILIPENKO
Head of the Department of Pharmacogenomics,
Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine SB of RAS (Novosibirsk, Russia)
CSc (biology), leading researcher
Areas of expertise:
molecular genetics, molecular immunology, pharmacogenomics, clinical laboratory testing
Special awards and honors:
A. A. Baev Award of RAS for achievements in human genome research (2000)
Best Doctors of Russia Recognition Award (2015)
Perhaps, each of us makes his career choice bearing in mind a romantic image of fiction characters or real heroes who do something that evokes respect and admiration in other people. In my childhood, I liked engineers and chemistry, a very simple one, with plenty of smoke and little explosions. It determined the choice of school: I attended a school that offered an advanced course in mathematics and physics in Akademgorodok (Novosibirsk). Its universities, research institutes and inhabitants became an important part of my life and I could not and did not want to get away from it. Now when I have seen science abroad and at home, I want it to be fair to people who fund it, who sometimes do not understand what we work for, buy fantastic stories of magic pills and super diagnostic techniques. I would like (and I make every effort) to work at the interface of science and medicine, science and veterinary medicine, science and biotechnology. Not that I lack romance — I just want to see the results of my work not only in academic journals, but in real life; I want the society to benefit from it. I want to be proud of my work and tell my friends who know nothing about vague scientific concepts about my achievements.
- Shadrina AS, Smetanina MA, Sokolova EA, Sevost'ianova KS, Shevela AI, Demekhova MY, Shonov OA, Ilyukhin EA, Voronina EN, Zolotukhin IA, Kirienko AI, Filipenko ML. Association of polymorphisms near the FOXC2 gene with the risk of varicose veins in ethnic Russians. Phlebology. 2016 Oct; 31 (9): 640–8.
- Sokolova EA, Shadrina AS, Sevost'ianova KS, Shevela AI, Soldatsky EY, Seliverstov EI, Demekhova MY, Shonov OA, Ilyukhin EA, Smetanina MA, Voronina EN, Zolotukhin IA, Filipenko ML. HFE p.C282Y gene variant is associated with varicose veins in Russian population. Clin Exp Med. 2016 Aug; 16 (3): 463–70.
- Imyanitov EN, Demidova IA, Gordiev MG, Filipenko ML, Kekeyeva TV, Moliaka YK, et al. Distribution of EGFR Mutations in 10,607 Russian Patients with Lung Cancer. Mol Diagn Ther. 2016 Aug; 20 (4): 401–6.
- Oscorbin IP, Belousova EA, Zakabunin AI, Boyarskikh UA, Filipenko ML. Comparison of fluorescent intercalating dyes for quantitative loop-mediated isothermal amplification (qLAMP). Biotechniques. 2016 Jul 1; 61 (1): 20–5.
- Lill CM, Luessi F, Alcina A, Sokolova EA, (…), Filipenko M, et al. Genome-wide significant association with seven novel multiple sclerosis risk loci. J Med Genet. 2015; 52 (12): 848–55.
- Oscorbin IP, Boyarskikh UA, Filipenko ML. Large Fragment of DNA Polymerase I from Geobacillus sp. 777: Cloning and Comparison with DNA Polymerases I in Practical Applications. Mol Biotechnol. 2015 Oct; 57 (10): 947–59.
- Oscorbin IP, Boyarskikh UA, Zakabunin AI, Khrapov EA, Filipenko ML. DNA-Binding Domain of DNA Ligase from the Thermophilic Archaeon Pyrococcus abyssi: Improving Long-Range PCR and Neutralization of Heparin's Inhibitory Effect. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2015 Aug; 176 (7): 1859–69.
- Davydov DM, Zhdanov RI, Dvoenosov VG, Kravtsova OA, Voronina EN, Filipenko ML. Resilience to orthostasis and haemorrhage: A pilot study of common genetic and conditioning mechanisms. Sci Rep. 2015 May 29; 5: 10703.
- Ivanova SA, Toshchakova VA, Filipenko ML, Fedorenko OY, Boyarko EG, Boiko AS, et al. Cytochrome P450 1A2 co-determines neuroleptic load and may diminish tardive dyskinesia by increased inducibility. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Apr; 16 (3): 200–5.
- Ermolenko NA, Boyarskikh UA, Kechin AA, Mazitova AM, Khrapov EA, Petrova VD, Lazarev AF, Kushlinskii NE, Filipenko ML. Massive Parallel Sequencing for Diagnostic Genetic Testing of BRCA Genes - a Single Center Experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015; 16 (17): 7935–41.