Yuriy V. KOTELEVTSEV
Associate Director of Center for Functional Genomics and RNA therapy,
Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Moscow, Russia)
Areas of expertise:
transgenic animals as a platform for modeling systemic diseases and therapeutic target discovery; atherosclerosis, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFDL)
Special awards and honors:
Winner of the first competition for Mega-grants (Russia)
As a straight A-student from a small town, I did not really have any other option but become a researcher. My research work on the association of gene polymorphisms with essential hypertension eventually led me to exploring transgenic models. Animal models allow us to come as close as possible to solving a particular biomedical problem. I would like to achieve a target tissue specific reversible saturation-based modification of the transcriptome of human somatic cells.
My advice to young scientists would be to look into biomedicine. Search for new therapeutic platforms for the treatment of systemic diseases, look for new pharmacological targets, develop methods for target delivery of small molecules and interfering RNA. Remember that to found your own competitive research laboratory, you need to gain sufficient experience in the world leading labs first.
- Lenoir O, Milon M, Virsolvy A, Hénique C, Schmitt A, Massé JM, Kotelevtsev Y, et al. Direct action of endothelin-1 on podocytes promotes diabetic glomerulosclerosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 May; 25 (5): 1050–62. DOI: 10.1681/ASN.2013020195.
- Malekin SI, Kotelevtsev SV, Gavrilova SA, Fadyukova OE, Golubeva AV, Grinchenko MI, Koshelev VB, Kotelevtsev YV, Hamet P, Orlov SN. Long-term normalization of blood pressure in SHR and 1-kidney 1-clip rats by synthetic precursor of stable PAF analogue without systemic effects in normotensive rats. Pathophysiology. 2011 Apr; 18 (2): 151–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.pathophys.2010.08.001.
- Bailey MA, Craigie E, Livingstone DE, Kotelevtsev YV, Al-Dujaili EA, Kenyon CJ, Mullins JJ. Hsd11b2 haploinsufficiency in mice causes salt sensitivity of blood pressure. Hypertension. 2011 Mar; 57 (3): 515–20. DOI: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.110.163782.
- Deuchar GA, McLean D, Hadoke PW, Brownstein DG, Webb DJ, Mullins JJ, Chapman K, Seckl JR, Kotelevtsev YV. 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 deficiency accelerates atherogenesis and causes proinflammatory changes in the endothelium in apoe-/- mice. Endocrinology. 2011 Jan; 152 (1): 236–46. DOI: 10.1210/en.2010-0925.
- Kelland NF, Kuc RE, McLean DL, Azfer A, Bagnall AJ, Gray GA, Gulliver-Sloan FH, Maguire JJ, Davenport AP, Kotelevtsev YV, Webb DJ. Endothelial cell-specific ETB receptor knockout: autoradiographic and histological characterisation and crucial role in the clearance of endothelin-1. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2010 Jun; 88 (6): 644–51. DOI: 10.1139/Y10-041.