Vadim V. NEGREBETSKY
Head of the Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Toxicology,
Head of the Department of Chemistry, Faculty of General Medicine,
Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University (Moscow, Russia)
DSC (chemistry), professor
Areas of expertise:
medicinal, bioorganic, organic and organoelement chemistry, preclinical development of bioactive compounds, nuclear magnetic resonance, dynamic stereochemistry (tautomerism, isomerization, permutational isomerization, cis/trans isomerization)
Special awards and honors:
Academia Europaea Young Scientist Award — Research in dynamic stereochemistry of hypervalent compounds of silicon, germanium and tin (1996)
Russian Federation State Prize for Young Scientists for outstanding contribution to science and technology (1999)
My father was a physicist, my mother was a biologist, so in a sense, I was born a scientist. I did not exactly follow in my parents’ footsteps, but chose something in-between instead. Strangely, I do not consider my area of expertise to be the most important one. I like molecular biology and I think that major breakthroughs can be expected in this particular field in the next ten years. I am convinced that in modern science there is a tendency to fuse various disciplines together, e.g. chemistry, biology and physics. Take an article from one of the top scientific journals (does not matter if it is published in Russia or abroad) – you will notice a multidisciplinary flavor everywhere. Russian works mostly deal with synthesis, biological activity, X-ray analysis and quantum chemistry. As soon as you discover a pattern in one discipline, try to apply it in an allied area of research. In a way, a scientist is now an alchemist but of a brand new type. Evolution moves in a spiral.
I would recommend that young scientists take a closer look at molecular biology. Development of new bioactive compounds and investigation of their properties are also interesting, but it is hard to struggle your way to the top here, much effort is lost on tilting at windmills. Medical chemistry is interesting, promising and important. To be a researcher, you have to be able to work in a team; you cannot conquer alone. To be a good scientific supervisor you’ve got to have talent. Go abroad. I worked in the UK in 1999–2000, 2005 and 2010. It was great experience. Whether to spend the rest of your life there or to come back to Russia is up to you. I do not think it is critical, because science is an international phenomenon.
- Negrebetsky VV, Nikolin AA, Kramarova EP, Shipov AG, Baukov YI, Arkhipov DE, et al. N, N-bis-(dimethylfluorosilylmethyl)amides of N-organosulfonylproline and sarcosine: synthesis, structure, stereodynamic behaviour and in silico studies. RSC Advances. 2016; 6: 75315–27. DOI: 10.1039/C6RA14450K.
- Bylikin SYu, Korlyukov AA, Shipov AG, Arkhipov DE, Kalashnikova NA, Negrebetsky VV, et al. Regioselective chelation in the reaction of N-trimethylsilyl-N-acetylglycine N',N'-dimethylamide with chloro(chloromethyl)dimethylsilane. Mendeleev Commun. 2015; 25 (2): 114–6.
- Prokopenko PG, Shkoporov AN, Petrenko OYu, Efimov BA, Negrebetsky VV, Terentiev AA. Rekombinantnyy N-domen beremennost'-spetsificheskogo glikoproteina iz kletok E-coli: izuchenie spektra poliklonal'nykh antitel. Byulleten' eksperimental'noy biologii i meditsiny. 2015; 160 (7): 88–92. Russian.
- Albegova DZ, Pavlova SI, Laptev OS, Negrebetsky VV, Kyagova AA, Kozyr LA, et al. [Influence of modified bioflavonoids upon effector lymphocytes in murine model of contact sensitivity]. Medical Immonology (Russia). 2015; 17 (4): 367–74. Russian.
- Prokopenko PG, Petrenko O, Shelepova V, Negrebetsky VV, Mokhosoev IM, Terentiev AA. Ascitic Antigen CA125: Study of Dissociation Forms and its Final – Stem Structure. British Journal of Medicine and Medicinal Research. 2014; 4 (1): 215–24.
- Albegova DZ, Pavlova SI, Negrebetsky VV, Кягова А. А., Козырь Л. А. Modifitsirovannyy bioflavanoid supressiruet reaktsiyu kontaktnoy giperchuvstvitel'nosti u myshey. Russian Journal of Immunology. 2014; 17 (1): 11–4. Russian.
- Albegova DZ, Pavlova SI, Negrebetsky VV, Kozlov IG. Vliyanie modifitsirovannogo bioflavanoida na proliferatsiyu myshinykh mononuklearov, aktivirovannykh T- i V-kletochnymi mitogenami. Russian Journal of Immunology. 2014; 17 (1): 8–11. Russian.
- Ioutsi VA, Markov VYu, Belov NM, Apenova MG, Goryunkov AA, Maksimova ME, Nikitin OM, Kovalev SV, Shevchenko VE, Magdesieva TV, Negrebetsky VV, et al. Pyrrolizidine and cyclobutane bridged double-caged fullerene derivatives. New J Chem. 2013; 37: 804–9.
- Nikolin AA, Kramarova EP, Shipov AG, Baukov YuI, Negrebetsky VV, Korlyukov AA, et al. Synthesis, structures, and stereodynamic behaviour of novel pentacoordinate fluorosilanes: fluorosilyl derivatives of proline. Organometallics. 2012; 31 (14): 4988–97.
- Kuznetsova OV, Egorochkin AN, Negrebetsky VV, Khamaletdinova NM, Domratcheva-Lvova LG. Ligand-site exchange in intra molecular complexes of silicon: substituent effects. J Physical Organic Chem. 2012; 25 (8): 658–66.