Larisa N. SHISHKINA
Head of the Department of Prevention and Treatment of Highly Dangerous Infections,
State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR (Novosibirsk, Russia)
DSc (biology), senior researcher
Areas of expertise:
influenza viruses, orthopoxviruses, highly dangerous viral infections, pathogenesis of infections, prevention and treatment of infectious diseases, pathophysiology, immune modulators, macrophages, neutrophils, models of viral infections, antimicrobial drugs, antiviral drugs, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics
Special awards and honors:
Honorary Certificate of the Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation (2010)
90 years of State Sanitary and Epidemiological Service of the Russian Federation medal (2012)
I may be mistaken, but I think that nowadays it is very difficult to be a young scientist and to give your life to research. In fact, it is much harder now than it was in my youth. Today, young people, regardless of their occupation, demand higher standards of living comparing to us — we all lived humbly, to put it mildly; still we never thought we were poor. Of course, one should make an effort to make more money, because scientists have never been paid well in our country. How you are going to earn more is up to you. You can go abroad and work there, if it helps. But remember that the most important thing is passion for work, interest and a strong desire to solve a scientific task. Keep on working and do not depend on the opinion of those who think that the quality of your life disagrees with current standards. Of one I am sure: I respect young scientists and am always willing to help them to learn new methods, conduct experiments, process, analyze and interpret the obtained results, write and peer review their scientific papers.
- Mazurkov OYu, Kabanov AS, Shishkina LN, Sergeev AA, Skarnovich MO, Bormotov NI, et al. New effective chemically synthesized anti-smallpox compound NIOCH-14. J Gen Virol. 2016 May; 97(5): 1229–39.
- Titova KA, Sergeev AA, Kabanov AS, Bulychev LE, Sergeev AA, Galakhova DO, Shishkina LN, et al. [The use of the model mouse ICR — variola virus for evaluation of antiviral drug efficacy]. Vopr Virusol. 2016; 61 (2): 79–84.
- Galakhova DO, Sergeev AA, Shevtsova EV, Sergeev AA, Zamedyanskaya AS, Titova KA, Shishkina LN, et al. [Approaches to Reduce Adverse Effect of Vaccinia Virus in Orally Immunized Mice]. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii. 2016; (1): 84–9. Russian.
- Titova KA, Sergeev AA, Kabanov AS, Bulychev LE, Sergeev AA, Galahova DO, Zamedyanskaya AS, Shishkina LN, et al. SCID mice as an animal model to evaluate the efficacy of antismallpox drugs. Russ J Genet. 2016; 6 (4): 477–84.
- Sergeev AА, Kabanov AS, Bulychev LE, Sergeev AA, Pyankov OV, Bodnev SA, Galahova DO, Zamedyanskaya AS, Titova KA, Glotov AG, Taranov OS, Omigov VV, Shishkina LN, et al. The Possibility of Using the ICR Mouse as an Animal model to assess Antimonkeypox Drug efficacy. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2016 Oct; 63 (5): e419– DOI: 10.1111/tbed.12323.
- Titova KA, Sergeev AА, Zamedyanskaya AS, Galahova DO, Kabanov AS, Morozova AA, Bulychev LE, Sergeev AA, Glotova TI, Shishkina LN, et al. Using ICR and SCID mice as animal models for smallpox to assess antiviral drug efficacy. J Gen Virol. 2015 Sep; 96 (9): 2832– DOI: 10.1099/vir.0.000216.
- Sergeev AА, Kabanov AS, Bulychev LE, Sergeev AA, Pyankov OV, Bodnev SA, Galahova DO, Zamedyanskaya AS, Titova KA, Glotova TI, Taranov OS, Omigov VV, Shishkina LN, et al. Using the ground Squirrel (Marmota bobak) as an Animal model to assess Monkeypox Drug efficacy. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2015 May 5. DOI: 10.1111/tbed.12364.
- Makarova OP, Shishkina LN, Ogirenko AP. [Investigation of the proinflammatory activity of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in lung cancer and inflammatory diseases of respiratory organs]. Tuberkulez i bolezni legkikh. 2014; 92 (11): 64–8. Russian.
- Kabanov AS, Sergeev AA, Shishkina LN, Bulychev LE, Skarnovich MO, Sergeev AA, et al. [A comparative study of the antiviral activity of chemical compounds concerning the orthopoxviruses experiments in vivo]. Vopr Virusol. 2013 Jul–Aug; 58 (4): 39–43. Russian.
- Sergeev AA, Demina OK, Pyankov OV, Pyankova OG, Agafonov AP, Kiselev SA, Agranovski IE, Sergeev AA, Shikov AN, Shishkina LN, et al. Infection of Chickens Caused by Avian Influenza Virus A/H5N1 Delivered by Aerosol and Other Routes. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2013 Apr; 60 (2): 159–65.